The name "Commack" comes from the Secatogue Native Americans who lived on the South Shore of Long Island between Copiague and Bayport.
Today all of Commack is settled and suburbanized and, like most unincorporated areas of Long Island does not have a true, walkable downtown or "Main Street." The community is served by four major thoroughfares: the Long Island Expressway, the Northern State Parkway, the Sunken Meadow State Parkway and Jericho Turnpike. It also includes the historic Long Island Motor Parkway, which itself included the spur to NY 25 that later became Harned Road.
Residents in Commack can choose from a number of well known establishments. These include the famous Emilios Restaurant, also in there area for eats is Jackson’s Steak House, Ciao Baby, Bar Louie and plenty more franchised or locally owned eateries.
History and Culture
The Secatogue tribe originally inhabited the area, and it was called Winnecomac which in the Native American language means "pleasant land." Europeans began to come in and settle down in the village in the 17th century, and they also built the first church in 1665. Commack was originally a rich agricultural community that had their first railroad by the 1860s.
Commack's four main thoroughfares are the Long Island Expressway, the Northern State Parkway, the Sunken Meadow State Parkway and the Jericho Turnpike. There is also public transportation bus stops scattered in the town.
There is no shortage of stores for those looking to get products of all varieties. Enjoy Target, Macy’s, Michaels, Dicks Sporting Goods, and so much more, all within a 5-10 minute drive on Jericho Turnpike. The area is primed for shopping and is a major destination for other town’s residents as well.
There are plenty of parks and play areas for residents. Hoyt farm is a great location for picnics, time with family or enjoying a sprinkler park on those hot summer days.